Department of Economic Security
Your Partner For A Stronger Arizona
Direct Support Professional (Direct Care)
605 South 7th Street - Globe, Arizona 85501
This announcement is open until a sufficient number of resumes are received. Interested applicants should apply for this position if they feel that they are qualified as quickly as possible to ensure a timely application.
Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) works with families, community organizations, advocates, and State and Federal partners to realize our collective mission to make Arizona stronger by helping Arizonans reach their full potential through temporary assistance for those in need. To learn more about DES visit DES Overview and visit our careers page to see current job opportunities. Join the DES Team!
The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Direct Support Professional (Direct Care). This position requires a caring individual to assist members who have Developmental Disabilities (i.e., autism, cerebral palsy, intellectual disability or epilepsy) ranging from moderate to severe. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Encourages and involves members with developmental disabilities in recreational activities available at home or in the community during leisure time
- Communicating (verbal and/or written), reads, writes and follows directions. Implements ISP programs and strategies, collects and records data
- Administering, ordering and storing medications of members according to doctor's orders
- Prepares, cooks, sets up, serves and assists members with developmental disabilities in eating meals; encourages member participation in meal-time process and ensures nutritional requirements are met
- Completes general housekeeping duties as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age to apply
- Read and write English
- Possess an active and valid driver’s license with 5 or fewer points on driving record - In-state travel is required
- Employment is contingent upon completion of a post-offer medical/physical examination and the agency's ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions
- Theories of teaching daily living or vocational career skills, basic principles of normalization
- Knowledge of Individual Program Plans and the application
- Planning activities designed to meet specific needs of individual members
- Act compassionately with respect of the rights of the member
- Attend staff training
- Willing to work weekends, holidays, overtime, and change work locations, when necessary
DES promotes career development and a work/life balance by offering a learning environment, team oriented culture, and flexible schedules. Our new hires enjoy several other benefits such as 10 paid holidays per year, 13 vacation days, up to 12 days of sick leave, affordable medical, dental, and vision benefits, $15,000 life insurance with the option to increase as desired. We also offer short and long term disability and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Applicants will be required to:
- Apply for and show proof of receipt of a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card that meets Level One requirements
- Be subject to a search of Child Protective Services Central Registry
- Successfully pass background and reference checks. Employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions
Connect with us via on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
E-Verify: All newly hired employees will be subject to the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting Human Resources Administration at (602) 771-2870. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DES is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
If you experience issues while applying for this position, please dial 602-542-4700 and select option 9 for assistance.