Department of Economic Security
Your Partner For A Stronger Arizona
This announcement is open until a sufficient number of resumes are received. Interested applicants should apply for this position if they feel that they are qualified as quickly as possible to ensure a timely application.
Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) works with families, community organizations, advocates, and State and Federal partners to realize our collective mission to make Arizona stronger by helping Arizonans reach their full potential through temporary assistance for those in need. To learn more about DES visit DES Overview and visit our careers page to see current job opportunities. Join the DES Team!
The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Cook 2. This position is responsible for preparing and cooking meals and snacks to individuals in compliance with the prescribed/approved dietary menu. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Preparing food using both mechanical/electrical kitchen equipment and hand tools in a safe and sanitary manner
- Ensuring that all food is prepared in accordance with each specific diet
- Maintaining a clean and sanitary work area, and cleaning and sanitizing kitchen equipment
- Developing shopping lists
- Measuring correct portions of all food items into containers in compliance with each person's specialized diet, and providing input to the nutritionist specific to the special dietary needs of the facility
- Maintaining updated food and supply inventories
- Possess an active and valid driver’s license with 5 or fewer points on driving record - In-state travel is required
- Employment is contingent upon completion of a post-offer medical/physical examination and the agency's ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions
- Required at time of appointment: possession of a current, valid food handler's permit
- Knowledge of menus and recipes
- Knowledge sanitation practices in a food establishment
- Knowledge of special therapeutic diets
- Experience preparing meals in a large group setting
- Knowledge of policies and procedures utilized in Food Services
- Skills in the use of cleaning tools and chemicals in a safe manner
- Skills in writing/completing designated forms, and inventories
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- The ideal/preferred candidate will have experience with food preparation
DES promotes career development and a work/life balance by offering a learning environment, team oriented culture, and flexible schedules. Our new hires enjoy several other benefits such as 10 paid holidays per year, 13 vacation days, up to 12 days of sick leave, affordable medical, dental, and vision benefits, $15,000 life insurance with the option to increase as desired. We also offer short and long term disability and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Applicants will be required to:
- Have a current, valid state issued driver’s license. Employees are subject to driver’s license record checks and must maintain an acceptable driving record, valid motor vehicle insurance and registration, and must complete any required training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12)
- Successfully pass background and reference checks. Employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions
Connect with us via on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
E-Verify: All newly hired employees will be subject to the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting Human Resources Administration at (602) 771-2870. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. DES is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
If you experience issues while applying for this position, please dial 602-542-4700 and select option 9 for assistance.